Tony's practice focuses on complex commercial real estate transactions and projects as counsel to buyers, sellers, landlords, tenants, developers and institutional lenders. His clients include a regional shopping mall, an international plumbing supply company, real estate developers and investors, banks, health care providers and litigation attorneys. He also provides services as a consultant and expert in real estate disputes. He served for many years as General Counsel for the Southeastern Public Service Authority (SPSA), the regional solid waste public authority, a Virginia political subdivision.
- Almost 40 years experience in negotiating and drafting commercial leases, contracts, deeds, easements and other commercial real estate acquisition and development documents.
- Advises and assists a plumbing supply company with real estate transactions nationally including its acquisition of sites for development and the purchase and leasing of warehouse, supply, showroom and retail properties.
- Served as Virginia real estate counsel for an industrial warehouse developer in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of several projects.
- Assisted logistics company in purchasing a loan secured by a deed of trust on waterfront property in Chesapeake, Virginia and in acquiring the property by foreclosure and purchase at the trustee’s sale. Advised the client on development and land use matters for this property and obtained a rezoning of the property from a mixed use zoning to industrial so the property could be developed and used as a port terminal and multi-modal bulk cargo facility. Rezoning was obtained by marshalling business support in the face of strong opposition from local civic organizations.
- Represented a non-profit hospital in its strategic acquisition of a ten story medical office building and ground floor retail space on a 6.36 acre site.
- Represented the Salvation Army in connection with its acquisition of property from the City of Norfolk for the purpose of constructing a $44,000,000 Kroc Community Center and also advised the Army on construction and environmental issues.
- Served as local real estate counsel to the purchaser/lessee in connection with its acquisition, leasing and financing of a part of an existing paper mill including the leasing of a portion of the plant and purchasing of equipment and improvements.
- Represented a franchisee of a national fast food company who owned more than 100 restaurants and developed outparcels, and assisted him with acquisition/ground leasing, site development, leasing and sales of restaurant facilities.
- Served as Virginia counsel to a national non-profit public housing company in connection with its acquisition of land and development and financing of a 300+ unit apartment and single family housing project in three phases.
- Extensive experience in negotiating and drafting commercial real estate lending documents including notes, guaranties, deeds of trust, security agreements and modification instruments.
- Served as lender's and owner's counsel for loans involving development and refinancing of commercial and industrial projects, shopping centers and outparcels, office buildings, apartment complexes, hotels, condominium projects, and residential subdivisions.
- Served as Virginia counsel for lenders making multi-million dollar securitized loans to shopping center investors and to a national railroad company.
- Represented a regional bank as counsel on a loan made to the beneficiary of a Will in settlement of litigation with beneficiaries under competing Wills secured by deeds of trust on numerous properties in three jurisdictions, advised lender on estate tax lien issues, and designed the transaction to protect the loan and lien priority against liens for unpaid taxes and claims by proponents of competing Wills.
- Represented a regional health care company in connection with its acquisition, leasing and development of outparcel sites in Virginia and Maryland.
- Represented a national corporation in connection with its subdivision, development and sale of 500+ acres of land over a 17 year period.
- Handled real estate work for several local television stations including facilities acquisition, development, financing and sales, and communications tower development and leasing.
- Represented a national oil company in connection with its acquisition and development of numerous service station sites in Hampton Roads and the Richmond area and assisted that company in selling those stations.
- Assisted a local savings bank in connection with its foreclosure of a 155-lot residential subdivision and represented the bank in completing development of the project and selling the lots including preparing restrictive covenants for the subdivision, preparing form contracts for the disposition of the lots, advising the bank concerning state and local development requirements and assisting the bank in a successful defense of a title claim affecting the property.
- Serves as expert witness and consultant in litigation involving title and other real estate matters.
- Served as special counsel in the successful litigation of a dispute involving the application of the Virginia recording acts and the interpretation of recorded plats and restrictions.
- Advises litigators in our firm on various real estate disputes, including title and leasing matters, partition suits, boundary line litigation and adverse possession claims.
- As general counsel for the regional solid waste management authority, assisted with various legal matters impacting its operations, governance, planning and sale of assets including issues under the Virginia Water and Waste Authorities Act, the Virginia Waste Management Act, the Virginia Freedom of Information Act, the Virginia Public Procurement Act, and the Virginia Public-Private Education Facilities and Infrastructure Act; assisted it with the acquisition and development of a 525 acre site for the expansion of the authority's regional landfill and the sale of its waste-to-energy facilities.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010