Peter's practice focuses on the planning and administration of trusts and estates and the representation of regional authorities and commissions. Peter's estate planning practice coordinates the interrelated fields of probate law, taxation, personal planning and tax-exempt organizations in a variety of projects for individual clients and families.
Peter's governmental practice encompasses the variety of specialized state and local laws affecting public entities.
- Planned and prepared documents for modest estates to those valued in excess of $20 million, encompassing traditional wills and revocable and irrevocable trusts.
- Generation-skipping tax planning involving testamentary plans through the use of wills and trusts, as well as lifetime asset transfers.
- Coordinated personal planning through the use of powers of attorney, living wills, health care powers of attorney, income tax planning and related vehicles.
- Designed and implemented family gift programs through direct gifts, trusts and insurance vehicles to maximize family wealth transfers under gift, estate and generation-skipping tax laws.
- Created various public charities and private foundations, and handled their exemption applications and other IRS filings, as well as planned and administered charitable transfers of diverse kinds, including charitable lead and remainder trusts, pooled income funds and transfers to family foundations.
- Administered estates and trusts of all kinds, including the handling and disposition of assets such as domestic and foreign real estate, publicly and privately-held securities and unique tangible and intangible assets.
- Acted as counsel in the application and interpretation of the Freedom of Information Act, Public Procurement Act and other public practice statutes.
- Negotiated and drafted contracts between governmental entities and the United States, local government and the private sector.
- Represented governmental entities in the issuance of public and private debt.
- Served as general counsel for three regional authorities and commissions, providing services in the conduct of their meetings, drafting and revision of their governing documents, and coordinating the provisions of legal services in real estate, labor and employment, and other matters.
- Represented public sector entities in the merger of two public commissions and in the creation of a multi-jurisdiction public authority.
- Drafted and coordinated legislative adoption of Virginia Code amendments for public entities.
News / Publications
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010