Prior to joining Willcox and Savage, Mr. Mitchell was Senior General Counsel for Norfolk Southern Corporation with responsibility for all of its casualty, FELA and insurance litigation, and he continues to serve as Special Counsel to Norfolk Southern on a number of projects. In addition to being an active member of the firm's civil litigation section, Mr. Mitchell is a member of the firm's Government Relations practice group, specializing in state and local government issues. Mr. Mitchell is a former president of the National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel and currently serves on its Executive Committee.
In addition to his extensive legal career involving both private and corporate practice, Mr. Mitchell is a leader in state and municipal government. He was a member of the Alexandria, Virginia City Council from 1967 to 1976, and a member of the Virginia Senate, where he served as Minority Floor Leader, from 1976 to 1988. He is a former member of the Board of the Virginia Chamber of Commerce and served as chairman of its Government Affairs Committee for nearly a decade. He currently serves on the Board of the Hampton Roads Regional Chamber of Commerce and is chairman of its Transportation Committee.
- Responsible for the investigation, handling, defense, evaluation, and disposition of all casualty claims and litigation asserted by or against a Fortune 500 national rail carrier, including administrative and supervisory responsibility for its Casualty Claims Department and its outside counsel engaged in defending such claims.
- Wide experience in evaluating serious and complex personal injury claims.
- Extensively experienced in investigating, administering, evaluating and defending mass tort claims.
- Has participated, and continues to participate, in the mediation and arbitration of cases involving rail transportation issues, contractual liability issues, insurance coverage issues and casualty claims.
- Has participated as an arbitrator in a number of arbitration proceedings between Rail carriers.
- Maintains comprehensive familiarity with the universe of insurance coverage issues, both with respect to procurement and enforcement.
- Experienced in devising and drafting creative solutions to legislative problems. The author and principal sponsor of more than 100 pieces of legislation which are now a part of the law of Virginia, including the Virginia Tort Claims Act.
- Has intimate familiarity with the powers of state and local government in Virginia, with the procedures and processes by which issues are resolved, and with the agencies and personnel involved in those processes.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2014 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Twenty-One Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2013 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named as 2010 Legal Elite
- Attorney Named "Railroad Lawyer of the Year" for 2011
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Twenty Attorneys Named as 2009 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010