Joe is a partner in the firm’s Catastrophic Loss & Tort Defense, Product Liability and Transportation sections and Co-Chair of the firm’s E-discovery practice group. His practice focuses on products liability, construction defect, fire and explosion losses, trucking, premises liability, and insurance coverage litigation. He regularly defends cases involving catastrophic injury claims, including traumatic brain injury, burns, paraplegia, quadriplegia and wrongful death.
- Successfully tried many personal injury cases throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia, including first and second chair, multi-day jury trials to verdict.
- Represents Fortune 500 companies in defense of product liability claims, including coordinating fire and explosion investigations using NFPA 921 guidelines.
- Represents target defendants in large fire/arson losses, including the largest fire loss in Richmond, Virginia history since the Civil War, the largest residential fire loss/arson in Maryland history, and the Georgetown Library fire in Washington, D.C.
- Represents national and regional trucking companies in defense of personal injury lawsuits, including traumatic brain injuries and wrongful death actions, including Boyd Bros. Transportation, C.R. England, Cypress Truck Lines, DOT Transportation, Kenan Transport, MV Transportation, Old Dominion Freight Lines, PGT Trucking, Ruan Transport, Sunteck Transport, Werner Enterprises and others.
- Represents largest privately held passenger transportation contracting firm in U.S. in defense of personal injury and property damage lawsuits in Hampton Roads.
- Represents North America’s largest tank truck hauler transporting fuel and chemicals in defense of personal injury and property damage lawsuits in Virginia.
- Represents national and regional brokers and trucking firms in defense of property damage lawsuits, including cargo claims.
- Represents insurance companies in defense and prosecution of coverage disputes.
- Represents insurance agents in defense of errors and omissions claims.
- Regularly advises clients on the best practices to handle their electronic discovery obligations in large-scale litigation.
- Former Law Clerk, Virginia Circuit Court, Fourth Judicial Circuit, City of Norfolk.
- Former Intern, Virginia Circuit Court, Nineteenth Judicial Circuit, Fairfax County and Fairfax City.
News / Publications
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Willcox Savage Announces New Partners
- DRI Strictly Speaking - “Receipt By the Defendant”: Finding More Time to Perfect Removal After Service Through a Statutory Agent
- E-Discovery Newsletter - Summer 2016
- E-Discovery Newsletter - Fall 2015
- E-Discovery Newsletter - Summer 2013
- E-discovery - the digital age of litigation
- Tech Law Letter- Spring 2013
- Article: Bodily Injury Cases: Challenging Graphic-Lifelike Medical Illustrations