The members of our Trusts and Estates Group coordinate the interrelated fields of probate law, income and estate tax planning, personal planning and charitable giving with one objective - to help our clients plan the transfer of their wealth in the way that is right for each of them, that minimizes taxes, and that carries out their goals for their families and other beneficiaries through a plan that they understand.
Throughout our history, the administration of estates and trusts has been an important part of our practice. With the support of an experienced administrative team, our attorneys serve as fiduciary for estates and a wide variety of trusts, including preparation of all necessary tax returns and administrative filings. For clients who have been named to administer an estate or trust, we provide the menu of services necessary to help them carry out their responsibilities. We devote special attention to the consequences of tax elections, planning for asset distributions and the handling of retirement and employee benefit accounts.
Much of our work is performed for families, often involving family businesses and the benefit plans of corporate owners and executives, and we have enjoyed the privilege of advising many of our clients over several generations. Estate planning today is often a team effort and our attorneys work closely with accountants, financial planners, investment managers, trust department officers and insurance advisors to help coordinate the planning of a client's affairs.
We believe that good planning has to be the right planning for each individual. We recognize that each of our clients has unique values, objectives and needs and that understanding those is our most important responsibility.
For more information, please contact any of the attorneys listed below.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2014 Legal Elite"
- Willcox Savage Attorneys Recognized by Virginia Super Lawyers
- Twenty-One Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2013 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Neil L. Rose Appointed Virginia Beach Assistant Commissioner of Accounts
- Neil L. Rose Elected a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Attorney Named "Trusts & Estates Lawyer of the Year" for 2012
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named as 2010 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Twenty Attorneys Named as 2009 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010