Mark's practice includes business sale, merger and acquisitions; formations and transactions involving corporations, partnerships and limited liability companies; commercial real estate; tax planning and tax controversies; trusts and estates, wills, estate administration and planning.
Mark represents numerous family owned and closely held businesses and counsels those companies in connection with their day to day business matters from formation through their different stages of development to their sale to third parties or transfer to the next family generation. Mark has recently served as chairman of the Board of Governors of the Virginia State Bar Business Law Section.
Mark also counsels larger companies throughout many significant events in their corporate and business lives such as asset and stock acquisitions of other companies, stock sales and asset sales, mergers and tax free reorganizations. Mark has been recognized in the Best Lawyers in America for mergers and acquisitions law.
- Represented large community bank and its subsidiaries in all commercial aspects of its business, including: multimillion dollar acquisitions of insurance, real estate, mortgage, title, and property management companies through mergers, joint ventures and reorganizations including advice regarding all tax issues.
- Represented seller and negotiated all tax aspects in a multimillion dollar sale of real property and four business enterprises located thereon.
- Represented buyer and its parent company in multimillion dollar acquisition of office building and warehouse including SBA loan, environmental and lease issues.
- Represented seller in asset sale of multimillion dollar insurance company.
- Represented large community bank in tax free reorganization of its subsidiaries.
- Obtained 75% concession at Appeals level of IRS after filing suit in United States Tax Court in case involving estate valuation of family limited partnership holding numerous real properties.
- Achieved reversal in Virginia Supreme Court of Circuit Court's holding that the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Act preempted a municipality's authority to impose its meal tax on the sale of alcoholic beverages in restaurants.
- Represented seller in multimillion dollar asset sale of multi-state Hair Club for Men franchise.
- Organized and obtained Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3) status for numerous charities and charitable foundations.
- Represented numerous privately held companies engaged in a wide range of industries in their acquisitions of other companies and in the sale of their businesses to public and private companies.
- Represented numerous companies in various commercial contract matters, including: commercial leases, distribution and supply agreements, service contracts, licensing agreements and employment contracts.
- Represented new businesses in entity selection, formation and governance.
- Developed and implemented strategy to pass closely held business valued at more than $10 million to trusts for a family over a period of years to substantially minimize estate tax.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Firm Welcomes New Partner Mark E. Slaughter