Stephen regularly represents financial institutions in a wide range of engagements including commercial real estate lending; commercial lending; preparation of form documents; development of retail and corporate banking products and services; advice about mortgage banking matters; advice about bank regulatory and compliance matters; and general corporate advice.
- Represents a lender in connection with a commercial loan for business acquisition purposes secured by a pledge of membership interests in a limited liability company.
- Represents a lender in connection with a $9,000,000 multi-phase commercial real estate loan for the purchase of an office building and $3,000,000 of related commercial loans for equipment purchases and working capital purposes for an affiliate of the borrower.
- Represents a lender in connection with the financing of the acquisition of a 244 unit apartment complex.
- Prepares form commitment letters, development agreements, loan agreements, loan participation agreements, promissory notes, deeds of trust, assignments of leases, security agreements, commercial guaranties, subordination agreements, borrowing resolutions, and opinion letters for various lenders.
- Prepares form pledge agreements, deposit account control agreements, investment account control agreements, assignments of government contracts, and other commercial lending forms for various lenders.
- Provides advice about and document preparation services for retail banking products and services including signature cards, account rules and regulations, certificate of deposit forms, affidavits, indemnity agreements, safe deposit box agreements, powers of attorney, check and negotiable instruments law, forgeries, check kiting schemes, and multi-party accounts for various lenders.
- Provides advice and develops forms and agreements for corporate banking products and services including online banking agreements and forms, repurchase agreements and sweep account agreements and forms, lockbox agreements, ACH services agreements, and wire transfer agreements and forms for various lenders.
- Provides advice to lenders about a variety of regulatory and compliance issues including Federal Reserve Board Regulations B, D, E, O, U, X, Y, Z, CC, and DD, applicability of the Bank Secrecy Act and anti-money laundering rules, obligation to file suspicious activity reports, regulatory capital maintenance and capital restoration issues, anti-tying regulations, and branch closings, branch relocations and bank and non-bank subsidiary formation issues.
- Provides general corporate advice to lenders about contracts with vendors, office leases, employment and personnel matters, and office relocation matters.
- Provides advice to various lenders about a broad range of mortgage banking matters including the sale and servicing of loans, mortgage loan originator compensation and licensing issues, procurement of specialized mortgage loan origination, closing, and regulatory compliance products and services, RESPA compliance issues, joint venture and affiliated business arrangement issues, and preparation of construction-permanent mortgage loan documents and forms.
- Provides advice to lenders in connection with loan modifications, forbearance agreements, loan workouts and restructurings, investigation of loan fraud and appraisal fraud, investigation of fraudulent conveyances, and foreclosures and deed in lieu transactions.
- Represents owners in connection with the negotiation and drafting of architect's agreements and construction contracts for commercial and commercial real estate projects.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2014 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-One Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2013 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Tree damage could put you out on a limb
- Profits and pitfalls of promissory notes
- Guarantor Liability: 10 Things You Should Know
- The closing was only the beginning
- Let's do the math on price vs. assessed value
- Property owner lacked vested rights to develop
- Be unambiguous about exemptions
- Look before you leap
- The good, the bad and the oh so ugly
- Enforcement ramps up