We provide our clients with a broad range of intellectual property law services, including:
- Copyright and trademark counseling, clearance, prosecution, and registration.
- Licensing of all forms of intellectual property, including patents and trade secrets.
- Preparing and negotiating tailored proprietary restrictions in confidentiality, consulting, employment, non-compete, and software agreements.
- Working with international counsel to obtain, maintain, license, and enforce all types of intellectual property rights in countries around the world.
- Conducting audits for clients to assess what intellectual property assets they have and what policies and agreements they should put in place to protect, maintain, and enhance those assets.
- Litigating intellectual property issues in the federal and state courts.
- Handling administrative proceedings before the United States Copyright Office and United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Franchise-related counseling, including preparation and registration of franchise-disclosure and related documents in states where required.
- Counseling and protection with respect to domain names, including handling domain-name disputes.
Our attorneys conduct on-site seminars for clients, professional organizations, and trade associations on topics such as:
- Copyright, patent, trade secret, and trademark ownership, licensing, and infringement issues.
- Intellectual property issues associated with use of the Internet.
- Protecting trade secrets and other proprietary rights.
- Developing and maintaining rights in data and other information.
We also regularly provide our clients with summaries and advice about the latest statutes and cases involving intellectual property issues, including by quarterly publication of the firm’s Tech Law Letter.
Links to Intellectual Property Resources on the Web
- United States Copyright Office
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association
For more information about our Intellectual Property practice, please contact the Group Leader, Timothy J. Lockhart, at (757) 628-5582, or via email at email@example.com.
News / Publications
- Attorneys Named in 2017 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2015 Edition
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2014 Legal Elite"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2014 Edition
- Twenty-One Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2013 Legal Elite"
- Willcox Savage Attorneys Recognized by Virginia Super Lawyers
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2012 Edition
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Michael R. Katchmark Comments on Federal Court "rocket docket"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2011 Edition
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named as 2010 Legal Elite
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2010 Edition
- Attorney Appointed Section Editor of INTA Bulletin
- Twenty Attorneys Named as 2009 Legal Elite
- Tech Law Letter - Winter 2017
- Tech Law Letter - Fall 2016
- Tech Law Letter - Summer 2016
- Starbucks' Case Against MR. CHARBUCKS Still Brewing
- MOSKOVSKAYA Not Necessarily Geographically Misdescriptive
- Tech Law Letter - Spring 2016
- Tech Law Letter - Fall 2015
- Tech Law Letter - Spring 2015
- Tech Law Letter - Winter 2015
- Tech Law Letter - Summer 2014
- Tech Law Letter - Spring 2014
- Tech Law Letter - Summer 2013
- Tech Law Letter- Spring 2013
- Tech Law Letter - Winter 2013
- With termination of copyright grants, disco lives
- Tech Law Letter- Fall 2012
- Virginia Lawyer - Trademark Board Finds CRACKBERRY Infringing and Not a Parody of BLACKBERRY
- Tech Law Letter - Spring 2012
- Tech Law Letter - Winter 2012
- Tech Law Letter - Fall 2011
- Tech Law Letter - Summer 2011
- Tech Law Letter - Spring 2011
- It isn't all blue skies for cloud computing