Rob represents developers, retailers, financial institutions and others in retail and office development projects, shopping center anchor tenant leasing, purchases and sales of commercial properties and financing transactions.
Rob is also the Managing Partner of Willcox Savage.
In addition, Rob concluded (as of the end of 2014) serving for six years as the Chairman of the Old Dominion University Real Estate Foundation, which has been responsible for the development of the area east of Hampton Boulevard in Norfolk, including the University Village mixed use project.
- Negotiated long term ground lease with Wegmans Food Markets for 130,000 square foot store scheduled to open Fall 2018 in the Virginia Beach Town Center.
- Represented The Kroger Co. in relocation of one of its Charlottesville, Virginia stores to an existing shopping center and negotiation of ground lease for 93,000 square foot store, with premises owned by two different partnerships.
- Lead counsel in leasing of office and retail space in the Wells Fargo Center, a mixed use development that opened in 2010 in downtown Norfolk. Project includes 250,000 square feet of space in 22 story office tower, 35,000 square feet of retail space, 125 multi-family units and two integrated municipal parking garages. Negotiated leases with anchor tenants, including UBS Wells Fargo Bank, KPMG, Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebees.
- Represented shopping center owner in termination of KMart lease and negotiation of subsequent long term ground lease of 11 acre site for a 130,000 sq.ft. Sam's warehouse club.
- Represented developer in connection with KMart's store downsizing and sublease to Kroger, including agreements for developer to directly lease to Kroger when KMart lease expires.
- Structured public-private partnership between Old Dominion University Real Estate Foundation and Residential Housing Development under a 75 year ground lease for a $52,000,000 private student housing development with 900 beds. Transition from outright purchase to ground lease structure facilitated developer's procurement of bond financing.
- Represented major national bank in over $100,000,000 of construction financing of multiple phases of the Town Center mixed-use development in Virginia Beach, including the office tower.
- Represented Fortune 500 company in its acquisition of headquarters building in a like-kind exchange transaction that had a closing deadline of two weeks. Transaction included negotiation of a long-term lease with Bank of America concluded within the same timeframe.
- Structured and negotiated a long-term subordinated ground lease for a 245 acre site for development as a Fazio signature golf course on behalf of family partnership.
- Serve as principal leasing counsel for developers and owners of regional and community shopping centers, including negotiation of anchor tenant leases with Sam's Club, Target, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, Kroger, Harris Teeter, Toys "R" Us, TJ Maxx, Office Max and Stein Mart.
- Negotiated sale of 70 acre farm to the City of Virginia Beach on behalf of local family under City's open space program, including structuring favorable installment payment terms to facilitate family's tax and personal planning.
- Represented elderly owner of 75 acres of prime commercial property fronting on U.S. Route 13 in its redevelopment and disposition. This included negotiations of long-term ground leases with Target and developers and personal planning for the disposition of owner's real estate portfolio to six charitable organizations. Property value of gifts to charities now exceeds $50,000,000.
News / Publications
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2016 Legal Elite"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2016 Edition
- Attorneys Named in 2016 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Nine Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2015 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2016
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2015 Edition
- Attorneys Named in 2015 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2014 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2015
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2014 Edition
- Twenty-One Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2013 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2014"
- Willcox Savage Attorneys Recognized by Virginia Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2013 Edition
- Twenty-Eight Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2012 Legal Elite"
- Twenty-Four Attorneys Named "Best Lawyers in America 2013"
- Attorneys Named in 2012 Virginia Super Lawyers & Rising Stars
- Willcox Savage Partners Recognized in "Virginia Top 100" by Super Lawyers
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2012 Edition
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named as Virginia's "2011 Legal Elite"
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2011 Edition
- Twenty-Six Attorneys Named as 2010 Legal Elite
- Twenty-Five Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2011
- Chambers USA Recognizes Willcox Savage in 2010 Edition
- Twenty Attorneys Named as 2009 Legal Elite
- Robert L. Dewey Named Norfolk Real Estate Lawyer of the Year
- Twenty-Seven Attorneys Named Best Lawyers in America 2010
- 2014 Year in Review
- Virginia's Legal Elite 2014 - Robert L. Dewey Profiled in Real Estate/Land Use
- 2012 Year in Review
- 2011 - A Year of Growth
- Practical benefits of â€˜baseball arbitrationâ€™
- A Glimpse at 2010...
- Author of two chapters on commercial leases, Landlord/Tenant Law and Practice Handbook published by Virginia Law Foundation